This is one event you must put on your to do list if you are an Aero Car owner.
First of all, what is an Aero Car? For our purposes it refers to the special built aerodynamic factory cars built between 1969 and 1970 to meet NASCAR homologation requirements for the race cars. These would include the 1969 Ford Talladega, Mercury Cyclone Spoiler and Spoiler II, Dodge Daytona and 1970 Plymouth Superbird cars.
We just received our newsletter from Doug Schellinger at the Daytona-Superbird Auto Club and the 45th Aero Car Reunion which is scheduled for Thursday October 16th thru Sunday October 19th at and around the Talladega Superspeedway. This is the weekend of the big Talladega NASCAR race. This event is put on by the Daytona-Superbird Auto Club (accepts the Fords and Mercs) and the Winged Warriors (for 1962-1974 “B” body Mopars).
This should be a great event for Members of these Clubs. If you own an aero car and would like to attend please contact Doug Schellinger at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Doug at 414-687-2489. Here is the info Doug has supplied on this even as of this date.
Since we are currently working on the Project Nuremberg Daytona we hope to have it ready for this event! We also have a Barn Find condition Dan Gurney Mercury Spoiler Drag Pack car that has not been seen for decades and hope to have it there as well.
- Thursday, October 16th: Morning track laps at Atlanta Motor Speedway. These will be similar to the highway speed laps at the Monster Mopar. Plan on staying in Atlanta Wednesday night. Convoy to Alexander City, AL in the afternoon. Trunk swap meet in the evening. Hotel info to come.
- Friday, October 17th: Gathering at Wellborn home in afternoon and evening. There will be a barbecue and party in the evening.
- Saturday, October 18th: Gathering at the Wellborn Muscle Car Museum.
- Sunday October 19th: Convoy and Parade lap before the Geico 500 race at Talladega.
- Hotel Info: Call or go online to make a reservation. There are no room blocks. Here are the four recommended hotels in Alexander City. All of these are close together. We will fill them all.
- Baymont Inn (formerly the Jameson Inn) 256-234-7099
- Hampton Inn 256-234-2244
- Best Western 256-234-6311
- Holiday Inn Express 256-234-5900
- The one hotel in town to avoid from past experience is the Royal inn.
No additional information or costs are available at this time.
Here are a couple of photos from the 40th Reunion we attended.